Thursday, January 8, 2009

RSS feeds

I love RSS feeds. Thoroughly enjoyed exploring various sites both for professional purposes and for personal interests.

In the end I subscribed to 10 feeds. These included sites that I can use for professional development such as The shifted librarian, LibraryBytes and the latest titles/feedback from Abbeys bookshop for collection development. I also subscribed to the ABC At the movies and several jewellery and beading feeds as this is one of my main hobbies. These feeds included About.com beadwork, Craft blog and Jewelry Making. This is a photo of my last jewellery sale.

RSS feeds can also be used for research queries in both our Corporate Library and in the Reference Library from our many database subscriptions. It would certainly save people time in having the information they seek automatically sent to them. The information can also be tailored to their exact needs - for example summaries or complete entries.

Libraries can also use RSS feeds to promote events, provide discussion points on HSC topics or other relevant topics.

1 comment:

  1. RSS feeds can be great. I like the way you have selected a really interesting sounding mix of feeds to follow.

    Ellen (PLS)

    ReplyDelete